A core clinical site is a hospital/health system that provides clerkships for third year medical students and required core and elective rotations for fourth year medical students. Clinical rotations for nurse practitioner students are also arranged in and around core site hospitals. Housing is available for students training in St. Joseph and Maryville.
"I started working with the AHEC in Northwest Missouri while I was in high school, through college and now while in medical school. I have always had great learning opportunities working with them, and the physicians that take students here really make sure that you walk away from your experience with them learning something every time. I am so happy to be back here for my rotations and can't wait to meet who I will learn from next."
- Brooke Streett, 4th year medical student, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
Visit some of our clinical training communities:
St. Joseph, Mo.
Mosaic Life Care at St. Joseph - Medical Center in St. Joseph was established as the northwest Missouri AHEC hub site for clinical training in the 1996.
St. Joseph is the largest city in northwest Missouri and is located on I-29 and Hwy 36, 35 miles north of Kansas City International Airport and 130 miles south of Omaha, Nebraska. Its population is about 76,000 and the town is home to Missouri Western State University and the Kansas City Chiefs training camp.
The ratio of students to preceptors is 1:1, and generally the preceptors have clinic offices and hold privileges to attend patients at Mosaic Life Care at St. Joseph - Medical Center.
For more information, please contact the clinical coordinator at NWMO AHEC.
Rotations available at Mosaic Life Care at St. Joseph - Medical Center include:
- Family Medicine
- Rural Family Medicine
- General Internal Medicine
- General Surgery
- Adult Infectious Disease
Within a commutable distance of St. Joseph, students can experience more rural medicine in the towns of Gower, Maysville, and Cameron.
- St. Joseph - Mosaic Life Care at St. Joseph - Medical Center
- St. Joseph Tourism, Buchanan County
- St. Joseph Demographics
- St. Joseph AHEC House
- Directions to Northwest Missouri AHEC, St. Joseph, Mo
St. Francis Hospital & Health Services in Maryville offers core clinical rotations in family medicine, internal medicine, surgery, ob-gyn, and psychiatry.
Maryville is located on 71 Hwy 40 minutes of St. Joseph, and is between Kansas City, Missouri, Des Moines, Iowa, and Omaha, Nebraska. Its population is about 10,500 and the town is home to Northwest Missouri State University.
- Maryville - St. Francis Hospital & Health Services
- Maryville, Community Information, Nodaway County
- Maryville Chamber
- Directions to Maryville
- Cameron - Cameron Regional Medical Center
- Cameron Community Information, Clinton County
- Cameron Chamber, Clinton County
- Directions to Cameron
- Chillicothe - Hedrick Medical Center
- Chillicothe Community Information, Livingston County
- Chillicothe Tourism, Livingston County
- Directions to Chillicothe
Mound City, Mo.
Platte City, Mo.