Kristen Thatcher serves as a liaison between the patient, doctors and family members of the patient at the breast center. Kristen is a registered nurse certified in oncology, breast health navigation and is a MammoCare® clinical breast examiner.
Our unique Nurse Navigator specializes in breast health care and will be available to you for a variety of different needs. She provides a wealth of knowledge on breast health care and can explain breast cancer treatment options to help patients to make their decisions. She can also point you toward invaluable resources such as support groups, mastectomy garments, prosthetics, and informational material. The Nurse Navigator will work closely with the surgeons to coordinate follow-up care for our patients.
The breast nurse navigator serves as a consistent resource to patients and their families. When a diagnosis of a breast abnormality is confirmed the breast nurse navigator is available to provide support, additional education and resources relevant to the patient’s specific diagnosis. The navigator helps the patient understand and feel comfortable with the decisions that she has made in consultation with her health care team.
The Navigator Program is an innovative outreach effort designed to guide and support women who have an abnormal breast finding or have been diagnosed with breast cancer.
The nurse navigator will:
- Provide emotional support throughout the continuum of care, from diagnostic procedures, surgical procedures, diagnosis, treatments and survivorship.
- Serve as an educator, providing one–on–one consultation to explain pathology, medical terminology, diagnosis, treatment options and plan as recommended by the treatment care team.
- Assure a collaborative treatment plan is coordinated between the patient and physician(s) with personal needs in mind.
- Coordinate appointments with medical team members and facilitate communications with physicians.
- Communicate information and referrals for financial services, social services, physical therapy and dietary consultations when barriers to care are identified.
- Share information on community resources and activities.