Diseases and Conditions
Lifestyles and home remedies Overview Symptoms Causes Risk factors Complications Prevention Diagnosis Treatment Lifestyle and home remedies Preparing for an appointment
Lifestyles and home remedies
Steps you can take at home to prevent and reverse gingivitis include:
- Brush your teeth twice a day or, better yet, after every meal or snack.
- Use a soft toothbrush and replace it at least every three to four months.
- Consider using an electric toothbrush, which may be more effective at removing plaque and tartar.
- Floss daily.
- Use a mouth rinse to help reduce plaque between your teeth.
- Supplement brushing and flossing with an interdental cleaner, such as a dental pick, interdental brush or dental stick specially designed to clean between your teeth.
- Get regular professional dental cleanings on a schedule recommended by your dentist.
- Don't smoke or chew tobacco.